Recently I had the privilege of representing our district as a delegate to the General Assembly of the Church of the Nazarene held in Indianapolis. The week long event happens every four years and involves multiple worship services, workshops, community interaction, children and youth events, training, and business/legislative sessions. Delegates are sent from districts from all over the world. It was a privilege and a joy to be part of all that was taking place. And as I listened to reports how God has been working through our church these last four years, I was so proud of a church that has sought to fulfill the Great Commission of spreading the gospel around the world. Here are some facts reported:
- The Church of the Nazarene is now operating in 162 countries.
- Membership in the Church of the Nazarene has grown to 2.471 million.
- Weekly worship attendance in the Church of the Nazarene is 1.5 million.
- The growth rate in the Church of the Nazarene over the last four years has been 14.91%.
- AND, every day through the ministry of the Church of the Nazarene worldwide 300 people come to know Jesus Christ!
As I reflected on this, and so much more, I was proud of my church and the way God has led the church to be a movement for Him. I am proud that we are serious about reaching all people with the good news of the gospel. I am proud that we seek to reach all people of every race, culture, and social standing. Some people worship under trees. Others worship in modern facilities. Some services are very traditional while others are contemporary. Yet when we came together in Indianapolis there was a great spirit of unity and the presence of the Holy Spirit was evident in all the services, business, and activities. I am proud to be a part of the Church of the Nazarene and what it is doing to reach people for Christ and help them in spiritual growth. We are a great church, both here and around the world. May God continue to use us both here and in every corner of the world!